Too Worried & Anxious: Generalized Anxiety DisorderOctober 7, 2018
Avoidance and Low MoodMarch 18, 2019
I’ve been meaning to write a post about this for months. I encourage people with anxiety about becoming ill to contact me and discuss treatment.
I’m seeing an increase in MS concerns after Selma Blair courageously began posting her story on Instagram.
Symptoms of health and illness anxiety (historically referred to as hypochondria) include:
- A preoccupation with health concerns, illness or fear of dying
- Persistent fear of illness or catching an illness
- Despite medical attention, fear does not decrease
- Seeking reassurance from others that they are not ill or sick
- Frequent googling (and re-googling) to research disease and illness
- Fear of illness returns quickly or person begins focusing on another health concern
- Symptoms last six months and interferes with daily living (please don’t wait 6 months. I would recommend a one month wait.)
Often, people will not seek help for the condition because it typically does not interfere with their ability to function in daily life and is seen by family and friends as a quirk. Much of the intense emotional pain happens in one’s mind. In mild cases, rituals and googling can be under or around an hour a day. If more severe, a person will spend the majority of the day googling health fears and symptoms.